Recipes

Monday, September 14, 2009

Breads

I spent the day yesterday making breads. I had applesauce canned and made that into applesauce spice bread. Walnuts gathered, hulled and dried from the yard added a bit more homemade flavor as did the eggs from our fat, happy chickens.

Then I made some pumpkin bread. I started with a pumpkin, not a can and baked and pureed the pumpkin before starting on the bread. The chickens were happy to eat the rind from the pumpkin. Those crazy birds will eat anything! I added some black walnuts from the yard and raisins to this bread.

Then I finished the afternoon off with some zucchini bread. It really is kind of boring compared to the others. The zucchini was shredded and the eggs were from our chickens, but other than that-kind of boring.

At this rate I am going to run out of black walnuts, so I gathered and hulled some yesterday while the bread was cooking. I need to get those into the oven to dehydrate today while it is nice and cool outside.

I am thinking of doing a trial batch of chocolate chip-black walnut cookies today. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment