Recipes

Friday, September 18, 2009

Tomatoes and Apples

Normally, these two crops do not come in at the same time. This year-they are. The apples are coming in early. Many think that the cool weather has them tricked into thinking that it is time, I don't know. I have gathered about 5 bushels from neighbors and they are in boxes telling me to deal with them! I think that I will make a lot of apple butter as it seems to be a favorite. Yesterday's apple crisp was a hit that will have to be repeated often in the next few weeks. I wonder if I can freeze them in freezer bags and have them ready to be made into apple crisp any time we want it? I will have to give it a try!

Tomatoes are also coming in now. The ones we planted early didn't do anything. Most of those plants died. The ones we put in the ground late are going nuts now. I am picking at least a Walmart plastic bag full every day. The romas are gorgeous. The others are just ripening and ripening. And the kids picked a bag of the yellow pear tomatoes alone yesterday. Those things are going nuts! Hopefully, I have the seeding thing right. I am trying to save the seeds from Mr. Stripey(heirloom), yellow pear (heirloom), red and yellow romas and a couple of the nice regular tomatoes. Today, I see more italian style tomato sauce in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment